GivenGain operates several websites including givengain.com and givengain.org. It is GivenGain's policy to respect your privacy regarding any information GivenGain may collect while operating its websites as GivenGain takes the protection of your data seriously in all of its processing.
Data controller, data controller’s representative and Data Protection Officer
The GivenGain Foundation, Avenue Centrale 122, 1884 Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland is the data controller and Johannes van Eeden is the data controller’s representative.
Marc Freudweiler is the data protection officer. You can contact him by sending an email at email@example.com.
Data collected and purposes of the collection
Like most website operators, GivenGain collects from visitors of GivenGain’s websites non-personal data of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site and the date and time of each visitor request. GivenGain's purposes in collecting such non-personal data are to optimize users’ experience of the GivenGain’s websites and render them more user-friendly, better understand how visitors use GivenGain’s websites and analyze their behavior for statistical purposes, for example by monitoring the most popular service accounts on the GivenGain’s websites. From time to time, GivenGain may release non-personal data in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its websites. GivenGain may display this information publicly or provide it to third parties.
Certain users of GivenGain's websites choose to interact with GivenGain in ways that require GivenGain to gather personal data. GivenGain does not collect and process more personal data than is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which personal data is collected and processed. The amount and type of personal data that GivenGain gathers depends on the nature of the interaction, as detailed below.
- Registered users: users who sign up on GivenGain’s websites are required to provide a username and email address for identification purposes. GivenGain also collects Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for security reasons.
- Transactions with GivenGain: those who engage in transactions with GivenGain (e.g. representative of the charities making payments on behalf of the charities) are asked to provide additional information, including the personal and financial information required to process those transactions. In each case, GivenGain collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the data subject's interaction with GivenGain.
- Support: if you send GivenGain a request (for example via a support email or via one of GivenGain feedback mechanisms), GivenGain reserves the right to publish it in order to help GivenGain clarify or respond to your request or to help GivenGain support other users.
You have the right to access and update your personal data at any time through your account on GivenGain’s websites.
In addition and to the extent applicable, you are entitled to submit a request to the Data Protection Officer in order to:
- have access to your personal data and obtain information in relation thereto (i.e. purposes of the processing, categories of personal data concerned, recipients to whom personal data have been or will be disclosed, etc.);
- rectify your personal data;
- erase your personal data, unless retention of personal data is required by any applicable law or competent court or authority;
- restrict or object to the processing of your personal data; and
- receive, or request GivenGain to transmit to another designated person or entity, your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.
To exercise any of the abovementioned rights, please contact the Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org, who will subsequently confirm you the execution of your request.
If requests are manifestly unfounded or excessive, in particular because of their repetitive character, GivenGain reserves its right to either charge a reasonable fee taking into account the request or refuse to act on the request.
Without prejudice of non-personal data, GivenGain and/or the Data Protection Officer may request the provision of additional information to confirm the identity of the data subject if they have reasonable doubts concerning the identity of the person making the request.
Duration of storage
General and personal data will be kept by GivenGain only as long as it is necessary for the purposes for which they have been provided, unless retention of data is required by any applicable law or competent court or authority or for statistical or archiving purposes.
Location of storage
- User data: your user information (i.e. name, email address, etc.) are stored in GivenGain’s servers which are located in a third party provider’s data center in Ireland. Furthermore, users information is backed up in an encrypted way in Switzerland on an external hard disk which is deposited once a week into a bank vault.
- Credit card credentials: whenever you make a payment through GivenGain’s websites, credit card credentials are stored with GivenGain’s acquiring partner, Adyen, in The Netherlands.
GivenGain has taken and will maintain appropriate technical and organizational security measures in particular to protect your personal data against unauthorized or unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage and ensure the ongoing confidentiality, integrity, availability of personal data and resilience of the systems and services used for processing of personal data. GivenGain will test and review the efficiency of the implemented technical and organizational measures on a regular basis.
Your personal data will be made available only to the members of GivenGain’s staff who need to have access to such personal data to perform the purposes for which personal data have been provided. Such members of GivenGain’s staff have been instructed with respect to and have committed to comply with the contractual and legal data protection obligations.
You must ensure that data you provide GivenGain with are:
- truthful; and
- compliant with any applicable laws.
In particular, since GivenGain will mainly use email communications with you, you are required to notify GivenGain or the Data Protection Officer of any modification of your email address. Alternatively, you can directly update your contact profile on your account.
Insofar as you provide GivenGain with personal data about third parties, you represent and warrant that you have the right to share this personal data and where necessary have obtained sufficient informed consent from such persons and provided them with all necessary information, as may be required by applicable law or agreement, for GivenGain to store and process any such personal data.
Disclosure of your data
- Transfers to third parties: GivenGain may disclose your data to its third-party contractors located in the US, UK, South Africa, Australia, The Netherlands, Czech Republic and Switzerland that need to have access to such data in order to process it on GivenGain's behalf or to provide services available at GivenGain's websites, in particular to charities, payment processors, IT service providers, customer support providers, auditors and lawyers. A complete and detailed list of up-to-date third-party service providers is available upon request at email@example.com. Third-party contractors have executed agreements with GivenGain requiring in particular that they abide by the rules of the applicable data protection laws, in particular the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679, and comply with any instruction they receive from GivenGain, as data controller, regarding personal data.
If you are a registered user of a GivenGain website and have supplied your email address, GivenGain may occasionally send you an email to tell you about new features, solicit your feedback or just keep you up to date with what's going on with GivenGain and its services. GivenGain primarily uses GivenGain.com to communicate this type of information, so GivenGain expects to keep this type of email to a minimum.
You may opt-out from receiving GivenGain’s emails by logging in to your account, navigating to Settings > Account , scrolling to the bottom of the page, unchecking "I agree to receive communication from GivenGain" and clicking the "Save" button. Please also note that if you do opt-out of receiving messages from GivenGain, GivenGain may still send you important administrative messages and you cannot opt-out from receiving such administrative messages.
Google User Data
You can connect your Google and GivenGain accounts. When you do this, GivenGain uses the full name, e-mail address and picture (if any) from your Google account to update your GivenGain account details. You also have the option to explicitly grant GivenGain access to your Google Photos in order to display any of your public galleries on your public fundraiser project page.
Facebook User Data
You can connect your Facebook and GivenGain accounts. When you do this, GivenGain uses the full name, e-mail address and picture (if any) from your Facebook account to update your GivenGain account details. You also have the option to explicitly grant GivenGain access to your Facebook photos in order to display any of your public galleries on your public fundraiser project page.
If the changes are significant (e.g. your personal data will be processed for new purposes), GivenGain will require your consent during your next visit on GivenGain’s website. GivenGain will not be able to provide you with all or part of its services as long as you have not accepted the amended terms.
If you need further assistance, please contact the Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting GivenGain’s website and clicking on “Contact us” to submit your inquiry.