Wiki In Africa is a non-profit organisation, based in South Africa, founded in November 2016 as a financial and legal structure that operates global initiatives in support of the WikiAfrica movement. Our objective is to empower and engage citizens of Africa and its diaspora to collect, develop and contribute educational and relevant content that relates to the theme of Africa under a free license; and to engage in global knowledge systems by encouraging access to, awareness of, and support for open knowledge, the open movement and the Wikimedia projects, working in collaboration with like-minded organisations.
Wiki In Africa has a variety of interventions that activates writers and new content that relates to Africa on Wikipedia. The projects work across geographical Africa and Diaspora. The interventions work with individuals, civil society organisations, schools and cultural institutions to shake up the negative and perpetual "single story of Africa".
Some of our work include
* Wiki Loves Women : Using the GLAM model that works with Civil Society, Media and Education organisations in focus countries, Wiki Loves Women encourages the contribution of quality information on African women to be published on, and made widely available via, Wikipedia.
* Wiki Loves Africa : the African continent wide photographic contest on Wikimedia Commons
* WikiAfrica Schools : intervention that trains and supports willing schools and institutions to incorporate a WikiAfrica Schools programme into their work within the curriculum. Each school will build the model they will use to incorporate contributing to Wikipedia as a tool to develop and strengthen their curriculum-aligned teaching by using the WikiFundi offline editing environment.
* WikiChallenge African Schools : encourages schools from the Orange Foundation Digital Schools program to compete by writing Vikidia articles about their city, town, village, suburb, a local landmark or a notable local person using the WikiFundi platform.
* WikiFundi : an offline editable environment that is a similar experience to editing Wikipedia online. WikiFundi allows for training on, and contribution to, Wikipedia when technology, access and electricity outages fail or are not available at all.
And so much more !
Learn more on our website : http://www.wikiinafrica.org
Please support our work and make a donation or register to our newsletter : http://wikiinafrica.org/newsletters/