In Kenya it is estimated that only 1/3 of the population has access to safe drinking water close to their homes at an affordable price in both rural and urban communities. Every morning children have to wake up early to walk long distances so as to secure water for their families causing absenteeism resulting to school drop-outs.
International Transformation Foundation in collaboration with Join the Pipe Foundation established A WATER KIOSK AT SCHOOL, an initiative to enable community schools to set up onsite water kiosks with multiple benefits for students, schools and community residents;
- Access to safe and clean drinking water
- Enabling Children to transport more water to their own houses
straight from school
- Improve sanitation facilities around the school since
the money from the water kiosk is used to purchase soap and toilet paper for the school children.
- Kiosks are managed by students therefore a place to learn about teamwork; commitment, leadership and responsibility
- All resulting in increased school attendance as children no longer need to be absent from school to secure water for their families
We have successfully built 9 water kiosks across 9 schools/communities benefiting 4338 students and 70587 People around these communities.
In 2016 we intend to double this impact across Kenya and expand the initiative to Rwanda.You can join us too by pre-financing a school to set up a water kiosk. Did you know that building our water kiosk model cost only 3000Euros?
A water kiosk at school initiative have won various awards including 2014 Pan African awards of entrepreneurship in education and 2015 Big impact small budget award.
Our water kiosk model is characterized by:
- WATER SAVING TAP STATION - Our water stations not only provide clean drinking water but also save water. No water is wasted with our auto-stop tap! They are also Vandal resistant.
- DRIP TAPS for HAND WASHING FACILITIES -We build toilets and hand washing sinks to prevent waterborne illnesses to spread. Drip taps technology reduces 90% of water usage!
- WATER BOTTLES - most children drink water from their hands, creating the possibility for waterborne illnesses to spread. We provide refillable water bottles for the children to drink from manufactured from. Our refillable bottles are created specifically to symbolize different sections of a water pipe. They are made of BPA-free plastic and are distinguished with a Dutch Design Award. Available in two different sizes and many different colour.
- JERRY CARRY KARTS - These Jerry Carry Karts reduce the physical injury from constant lifting and carrying heavy loads of water on heads of the children.