It takes a village of dedicated, selfless and courageous people to save a species.
The calling to save the rhino can feel lonely and draining.
But there is strength in numbers. As our village grows in numbers so the weight of the burden lightens and hope for the future of the rhinoceros strengthens.
Join our village. Walk with us in our dedication to save the rhino species.
Donate now or start a fundraiser because… little bits make a LOT.
LITTLE BITS MAKE A LOT
We have learned that conservation is a team sport. We can’t do it on our own.
When we work together, alchemy happens – there is magic. With many individual donations we can achieve our fundraising goals. Little bits make a LOT.
Until guests are able to return, the Kariega Foundation’s core objective is to ensure that we have the funds to keep our APU fully operational so that the rhino at Kariega remain protected.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
The daily operating cost of the Kariega Anti-Poaching Unit is R5,000 (US$340, €280 or £250). Our short-term focus is to raise R210,000.
Donations go directly to pay for these ongoing costs. No donation is too small.
These are suggested ways in which you can help:
- Make a once-off donation.
- Commit and give a small amount every month.
- Ask for donations instead of a gift.
- Crowdfund using our online fundraising platform.
- Motivate a group to donate together – a book club, sports team, craft group, running club, family, friends or any collective.
- Fundraise at work – great for team building and fostering the spirit of giving in your company. Ask your company to match whatever you and your colleagues raise.
- Fundraise at school – help youth experience how good it feels to help others and make a valuable contribution to their future.
- Use your talents to raise money and donate the proceeds – bake, make jewellery, organise an event, arrange an auction, make clothing…
- Leave a bequest through your will.
- Arrange a sweepstake for any sport and donate the proceeds.
- Collect your small change and donate it.
- Get sponsored to give up a bad habit or simply donate the money you have save by giving it up.
QUESTIONS ABOUT FUNDRAISING?
The Kariega Foundation is a non-profit trust led by Lindy Sutherland. We appreciate every bit of support and look forward to answering your questions.
Contact us by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +27 (0)46 636 7904.
THE IMPORTANCE OF THE EASTERN CAPE AS A RHINO STRONGHOLD
South Africa is the custodian to more than three-quarters of the world’s rhinos. Over the past decade, 8,349 rhinos have been killed in South Africa alone for their horns.
In 2021, shocking rhino population statistics revealed that the world’s largest population of rhinos — found in South Africa's Kruger National Park — has diminished by nearly 70% over the past decade, mainly due to relentless and barbaric poaching.
The species needs ongoing rhino protection and conservation efforts to trump poaching so that rhino populations can grow and thrive unthreatened once more.
Kariega Game Reserve and a collection of wilderness areas in the Eastern Cape region (known as Indalo) have risen to this challenge. Together we have become pioneers in rhino conservation through the power of collaboration and igniting community consciousness. We have developed a shared model of advanced anti-poaching practises and are creating a much-needed and essential stronghold for rhino in Africa.
Walk with us to continue this important collaborative conservation approach.
KARIEGA FOUNDATION DIRECT TRANSFER BANK DETAILS
First National Bank (or FirstRand Bank Limited)
Account No: 62275606526Branch: Newton Park
Branch code: 261050
Swift/IBAN: FIRNZAJJ or FIRNZAJJXXX
Bank Head Office Address: FNB Bank City, Simmonds Street, Johannesburg, 2000.Reference: Yourname_Rhino