Raise funds for trees and get your Greenpop Eden Festival of Action 2018 programme fee discounted or FREE!
Before you start fundraising, please be sure to apply for the Festival of Action HERE. After you are accepted onto the programme, you can start raising trees through this platform. Not only will we use the funds you raise to plant trees during the project, but for every tree raised you will also get a discount on your programme fees*.
- Goal for attendees staying for one week: funds for 80 trees
- Goal for attendees staying for two weeks: funds for 150 trees
- Goal for attendees staying for three weeks: funds for 200 trees
If you meet your goal, you can attend the programme for free!
If you do not meet your goal you will receive a discount on the programme fee relevant to the amount of trees raised. For example, if you raise 25% of your goal you will get a 25% discount on your programme fees.
Costs & Deadlines:
One tree costs USD 12 / ZAR 120
Deadline for raising funds for trees is 31st March 2018
*Unfortunately it’s not possible to raise funds for trees to cover the costs of transport from your hometown to the event and back.
**See the table below for what is included in and excluded from the normal programme fees (or in your case, the raising of trees instead of your fee)
**Included in Programme Fees
- Three meals a day and snacks in between
- Coffee and tea
- Tented accommodation at our lodge
- Transfer on arrival and departure day to/from the airport or bus station
- Workshops & Activations hosted by field experts
**Excluded from Programme Fees
- Additional drinks and snacks
- Transport to and from the event
- Travel and/or medical insurance
- Costs for visa (if not from South Africa)
- Fees for additional excursions
Every June/July, the Greenpop Festival of Action brings people together from around the globe to learn, connect, give back and get active. For the past 6 years, this event has taken place in Livingstone, Zambia and for the first time in 2018, the Festival of Action is being hosted in the Eden District, Garden Route, South Africa.
Be part the 1st Festival of Action in this new and relevant location!
Why Eden District, Garden Route, South Africa?
In June 2017, devastating fires wreaked havoc on large areas of the Eden District along South Africa’s beautiful Garden Route, particularly near Knysna. The extremity of the fires was exacerbated by the uncontrolled spread of alien plant species in the area. “Some of the biggest culprits for the intensity of the fire were invasive plant material," said Knysna Mayor Bouw-Spies.
The impact of these fires has been immense on a social and environmental level. General consensus is that, alongside immediate rebuilding efforts, long-term efforts need to be focussed on regeneration through planting of indigenous trees, introducing ecosystem services, removing alien vegetation and catchment management.
SANParks’ Nandi Mgwadlamba explains: “The fire didn't touch any part of the Garden Route National Park. This is because indigenous forests are wetter." Mgwadlamba says there are various interventions being planned to restore the local ecology, "we are encouraging residents to plant indigenous trees and to try and see if they can't spot an invasive alien species in their own properties.”
Greenpop is bringing the Festival of Action to the Eden District as a way to launch our ongoing environmental work in the area. There are many local environmental and social initiatives starting up to protect against another disaster and Greenpop aims to contribute and be part of the solution, while also teaching skills and lessons that are relevant to everyone across the globe - sharing and learning in a place that highlights some of the challenges that our planet faces on a whole.
Our 2018 fundraising goal of ZAR 600 000 will enable Greenpop to plant 5000 trees at the project and beyond!
It's a TREEvolution! Start fundraising and attend this experience of a lifetime.
Find out more about the project here
HOW DOES TREES FOR FEES WORK?
- You first apply for Greenpop Eden Festival of Action HERE and indicate in the application form that you would like join the Trees for Fees programme.
- If you are accepted onto the programme, you’ll receive an acceptance email.
- After you are accepted, create your own activist project to start raising funds. Click 'Start Fundraising' on this campaign and you'll be taken through the set up process.
- Set your fundraising target:
- If you are coming to the Festival of Action for one week your goal should be at least ZAR 9600 / USD 960. This will be enough money to plant 80 trees! (as trees are ZAR 120 / USD 12 each)
- If you are coming for two weeks your goal should be at least ZAR 18000 / USD 1800. This will be enough money to plant 150 trees!
- If you are coming for three weeks your goal should be at least ZAR 24000 / USD 2400. This will be enough money to plant 200 trees!
- Set your deadline: 31 March 2018
- Be sure to add photos and extra details to make your project POP!
- Share & promote your fundraising activist project URL with everyone you know so they can sponsor trees for you to go to the Eden Festival of Action.
- Have fun!
- Ask us fundraising questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Greenpop Foundation NPC is a registered non-profit organisation and can issue a donation receipt for your tax deduction at the end of the tax year upon request.
Registration Number (NPO): 151-411 NPO
Public Benefit Organisation Number: 930050622