Hlokomela (Hoedspruit Training Trust) is a small, not-for-profit, HIV&Aids healthcare organisation in the Mopani District of Limpopo, South Africa, that has mobilised to help fight the spread of the Corona Virus in the Greater Kruger to Canyons Biosphere area. This area is home to many rural communities already fighting a wide range of immune deficiencies, like HIV, TB & diabetes.
With the global COVID-19 virus now spreading quickly in South Africa, communities are to feeling the devastating effects of the global pandemic.
The South African tourism & hospitality industries are now being hit hard by the outbreak, with many employees loosing their jobs. The need for food-, health- and social support is now greater than ever during the 100 plus days South African lockdown.
Through the support of the public and our partners, Hlokomela has been able to:
- To make over 16 000 buffs and masks for vulnerable communities
- To do over 17 000 individual COVID-19 screenings.
- Distribute 41 tonnes of grapefruit , 71 520 tonnes of naartjies and 5 tonnes of oranges donated by farms like Blydevallei, Bavaria Fruit Estate & Dinaldedi Farm
- Distribute nearly 4000 food parcels & fresh vegetable packs to families, schools and individuals in need.
We urge the public to keep on supporting the cause where possible to protect these extremely vulnerable communities against the pandemic and the consequence of the South African Lockdown. These are difficult times globally but your donation, big or small, will go far in maintaining and stepping up our efforts.
Donations are being used for:
- The production of protective gear (like masks and buffs)
- Distribution of protective gear to the most vulnerable communities.
- Making up food parcels to be distributed to families in need, especially children, old people and farm workers/lodge workers in the greater Hoedspruit area.
- Growing & developing our Herb Garden's Community Wellness Mission
- Running awareness campaigns in vulnerable communities to help spread info regarding the current pandemic of COVID -19
- Distribution of hand sanitiser and cleaning materials to vulnerable communities.
A massive thank you to the public & our individual partners that have already supported us in such a big way to make this work possible. We hope that we can continue to count on your generous support.