The Nyekweri Forest Conservation and Restoration Project is structured around complementary elements of the Nyekweri Forest project which integrate three focus areas: community-based participation, forest restoration and conservation.
- The employment of three Community & Conservation Rangers, who are supervised by the local African Foundation Project Officer, Simon Saitoti
- Restoring Nyekweri Forest is a current topic at all local schools, and school projects include the recycling of plastic waste to grow young saplings, which in time to come, will be grown within fenced school environments like Saparingo Primary School
- The Community & Conservation Rangers will establish and develop the new tree nursery at a site donated by the Nyekweri Kimentet Community Forest Conservation Trust
- The seedlings propagated by the indigenous tree nursery will be used by community members to restore cleared forest sections on their land
- Our curated ‘Echo’ conservation education programme will be expanded to include the development and delivery of curriculum-aligned Primary School lessons and activities with specific relation to the importance of the Nyekweri Forest and extended Masai Mara conservation area.
- A structured biodiversity monitoring and survey process will be developed. This will include:
- The installation of trail cameras at strategic points in the forest to identify the primary areas used by elephant, giant pangolin and other priority species.
- Biodiversity surveys, led by Kenyan ecological specialists, will build an in-depth understanding of the forest’s fauna and flora.
Your contribution will help towards the following:
- $50 will cover the cost of growing, planting and caring for 10 trees
- $50 will allow for the purchase of nursery equipment and propagation – seedling tubes, crates and tables
- $50 will allow for the purchase of community and conservation ranger equipment and protective gear
- $200 will cover the cost of x5 Echo- Environmental Education lessons at partner school
- $400 will allow for the installation of trail cameras in the Nyekweri Forest
- $1100 will cover the cost of the full installation of a Water Tank
Please use the reference 'Nyekweri' when making a donation. Thank you for your support, it is deeply appreciated.
*Please note that if you are in the USA or UK it may be more beneficial for you to donate via Africa Foundation (USA) OR Africa Foundation (UK) for tax purposes - donations through this portal will be received directly to Africa Foundation based in South Africa.