MidMar Mile Hippo Water Rollers Campaign
On 11 February 2023, a team of &Beyond and Africa Foundation swimmers will take on the MidMar Mile (1.6 km) open water swim in a fundraiser for at least 31 Hippo Water Rollers.
Each swimmer is being asked to raise a minimum of ZAR 2,035. This will cover the full cost of a roller (ZAR 1,850) and the 10% administrative fee applicable during fundraising.
These robust and durable water barrels each hold 24 gallons (91 litres) of water, and are designed for easy use by women, children and elderly community members. They can be pushed or pulled for long distances over rough rural terrain, which eases the time and physical burden on the individuals collecting household water.
Did you know?
- The average distance that communities walk for water in Africa and Asia is 3.7 miles (6 km), with multiple water collection trips taking up to four hours a day
- Traditionally, water collection is done by women, children and the elderly; the water is carried in heavy 20-litre buckets, balanced on their heads
- Carrying bucket-loads of water, which weigh about 44 pounds (20 kg), over long distances day in and day out, is known to cause premature aging of the spine
In recognising the social impact value of the Hippo Water Roller, Nelson Mandela appealed for the active support of “a national project which will positively change the lives of millions...”
Help us enable access to clean water for rural communities in South Africa.
To make your contribution to this life-changing campaign, click the donate button and use the following reference options:
- Back a swimmer: #NameSurname of the swimmer
- Support the campaign: #MidMarMile
Africa Foundation is registered in South Africa, UK and USA. Africa Foundation RSA will receive donations through this portal.
USA or UK residents may prefer to donate via Africa Foundation (USA) / Africa Foundation UK, for possible tax benefits: