More than 1.5 billion learners across the globe are currently not being able to attend school because of the Covid -19 pandemic. In response to the crisis, The Rainbow Academy(NPO of performing arts and business in Cape Town, South Africa) has embarked on a national fundraising campaign to raise funds for their learners and for those with no access to data, smart phones, tablets or Wi-Fi during the critical 21 day lockdown period and uncertain months ahead.
The Rainbow Academy will be creating an easily accessible,online learning system to reach students from the informal townships and the Cape Flats in the Western Cape. Students from these areas are currently not able to attend classes, access the internet, access smart phones or afford data. Such resources are essential to ensure their continued learning and well- being amidst the constraints and challenges of the Covid -19 epidemic. The closing of schools has forced students, who form are part of the most vulnerable in South Africa, to continue studies remotely with limited, to no resources, to do so.
The Rainbow Academy aims to raise R250 000 to equip 40 enrolled students, 10 diploma students,10 staff and the community at large, to keep learning, to keep teaching and to keep thriving in the time of Covid-19.
Ongoing educational opportunities for youth from disadvantaged communities are critical during this period, as:
1. Students need to be able to continue their education and be given the opportunity to access the necessary resources to continue their learning and achieve their 2020 academic goals.
2. The Rainbow Academy programme is only a year, with specific curriculum outcomes to be reached by October 2020. The current 21 -day lockdown, coupled with the uncertain projections for the coming months, has brought student preparations to a halt and puts the completion of their studies and graduation in 2020 at critical risk.
3. The choice to move studies online will give the studentsand the community at large, the opportunity to continue their studies remotely whilst sustaining their mental and emotional health and moral.
4. Our programme will offer a constructive mental and emotional outlet for youth and communities at large,through easily accessible platforms of active learning, engagement, participation and interaction during and after the COVID 19 crisis.
5. We need sound and educated minds. Securing salaries and keeping our teachers employed during this uncertain time is critical to the value chain and economy of our sector and country at large.
6. Continued education of our youth ensures their upskilling and preparation for employment, as we plan ahead and seek solutions to the present uncertainty in our economy and sector.
In this crucial time, your support empowers us to play a pivotal role in protecting and nurturing our youth and providing our communities, most in need, with hope and a positive outlook “in the time of covid-19.”
The Rainbow Academy is a registered NPO, NPC AND PBO. Donations are tax deductible and will assist businesses in achievement of their BEE targets.
WE NEED YOUR HELP AND INTERVENTION TO RAISE FUNDS FOR:
• Airtime, Data, Internet access
• Smartphones, computers and tablets
• Software, operational and administrative costs for the set up of an E-learning space accessible to our communities
• Tuition costs for teachers and staff
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
➢ SPONSOR A STUDENT
➢ CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP AND PARTNERSHIP
➢ VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME, SKILLS AND RESOURCES TO HELP US GET ON LINE , MARKET AND PROMOTE THIS INITIATIVE
#makingrainbowsinthetimeofcovid #covid19 #education #lockdownlearning #townships #fundraiser #donations #npo #pbo #taxincentive #givengain #charity #southafrica #capetown #2020
#learninginthetimeofcovid #loveinthetimeofcovid #therainbowacademy #rainbowacademy #lockdownlearning #keepteaching #keeplearning #keepthriving
ACHIEVEMENTS FOR 2019 & 2018: > The highest achievers in the western Cape for Trinity College London Musical Theatre Exams from 2017-2019. > Five Rainbow academy representiatives have been invited to represent South Africa in Hong Kong in Jan 2020 >The winners of the Ons Kaapse Dans Solo Competition hosted by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport Western Cape >Recipient of the 2018 South African Business & Arts Awards (BASA) for long term sponsorship & community impact. >Denay Willie, Co-Founder with Frank Gormley, was recently selected to attend the United Nations NELSON MANDELA PEACE SUMMIT in NYC as an ambassador and observer for the Rainbow Academy. >The Rainbow Academy has also been recently nominated for the NEA, MARTIN LUTHER KING AWARD for outstanding contribution to human rights.