We call these fundraising campaigns “ForPlayAfrica” because you can do anything you like to raise money for Play Africa! We’re always inspired by the creativity and dedication of our supporters around the world. We encourage you to fundraise in whichever way suits you and your personality.
About Play Africa
Play Africa is southern Africa's pioneering children's museum, based at Constitution Hill and active across South Africa and sub-Saharan Africa. We empower children with 21st-century skills, creating a new generation to build Africa’s future.
- Named "one of the world's most impactful and scalable education innovators" by HundrED.org in November 2021.
- Named a finalist in "Best Rising NGO" in South Africa's CSI Legacy Awards by CSRNews in December 2021.
Thanks to supporters like you, we can remain one of the most accessible children's museums in the world, partnering with more than 245 schools, ECD centres, preschools, and afterschool programmes to reach children wherever they are. We're proud to bridge opportunity gaps to reach the most marginalised members of our society:
- girls and young women
- children living in poverty and/or with caregivers who are underemployed
- children living in communities challenged by underinvestment with limited neighbourhood resources (parks, playgrounds, green spaces, recreation centres, libraries, police stations, clinics, hospitals, safe transportation, etc.), including in inner-city, peri-urban and informal settlements
- children with disabilities
- children who are refugees, asylum seekers or recent migrants
Why Play Africa?
Play Africa is a non-profit social enterprise and tax-exempt public benefit organisation.
- Strong, independent governance
- World-class financial controls, accountability and transparency
- 100% of our donations support programmes for children in need
- Signatories of UN Global Compact since 2015
Why play and playful learning in South Africa?
Play, and playful learning, is an integral part of early learning. Research in neuroscience gives us overwhelming evidence of the profound influence of playful early experiences in a child’s healthy development. Responsive, rich social interactions with trusted, loving adults build healthy brain connections. Children can become life-long learners who can adapt and flourish in an uncertain, complex world.
Play is widely understood to spark imagination, problem solving, teamwork, and empathy. Through playful learning, children develop collaboration, communication, content, critical thinking, creative innovation, and confidence (Golinkoff & Hirsch-Pasek, 2016).
Play offers an ideal opportunity for parents to engage fully with their children. It is also an essential tool for educators in school settings. Through play, children can develop new competencies that lead to increased confidence and the flexibility to face future challenges.
If you get stuck or you have any questions about fundraising for Play Africa, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information please visit playafrica.org.za.
Thanks again for choosing to raise funds for Play Africa!
The Play Africa Team