Waves for Change stands firmly behind the words of Cyril Ramaphosa "In the days, weeks and months ahead our resolve, our resourcefulness and our unity as a nation will be tested as never before."
For many of us, our home is our safe space. For many children in under-served communities, safety is often found in spaces outside of their homes. During a time in which children do not have access to schools, surf therapy or youth mentors, Waves for Change recognises its duty of care to continue reaching those children with child-friendly mental health services.
Because of the circumstances we find ourselves in, Waves for Change is translating 10 years of surf therapy experience, resources and research into a remote delivery programme through our network of skilled youth surf mentors in the communities.
We are requesting funds toward the following adaptations of our surf therapy programme:
- R250 (monthly) towards internet data for youth surf mentors, who need to deliver a reliable remote service to children in the programme
- R400 towards food boxes for families of children in the programme
- R640 towards a telephonic debrief psychologist (cost per month)
- R1,500 towards one-on-one mentorship for surf mentors (cost per month)
We urge those who are still in a position to do so, to please support our work by making a financial contribution or signing up as a monthly donor to help ensure our sustainability in delivering crucial services at a vulnerable time for those recovering from trauma or living with mental health challenges.
Other ways to get involved:
- Follow us on social media for mental health updates
- Share this campaign
- Create a fundraiser to inspire and motivate your friends
- Get your employer on board
Thank you sincerely for your consideration.
Tim Conibear, Founder - Waves for Change Surf Therapy.