The award-winning Umthombo Youth Development Foundation in Hillcrest, South Africa, identifies, trains and supports rural youth to become qualified health care professionals in order to address the human resource shortages at rural hospitals - thereby improving health care to rural communities (learn more about our program). In 2019, we are supporting 250 rural youth to study health science degrees. Here are three reasons for you to support a student:
- Change an individual's future: You can open a sustainable way out of poverty for a young student from Kwa-Zulu-Natal - a direct, individual support with no administration fees involved.
- Change the future of a rural community: To date, we have produced 337 graduates who are working in rural hospitals and thus improving the local health care.
- Change the future of the country: Invest in South Africa's (economic) future and create a future taxpayer - the cost of training 254 graduates (in 2015) of R186 million is tiny compared to the future income tax of R1,2 billion that will be paid over a graduates lifetime.
These are your options for being a significant part of a life changing opportunity for a young student:
- Stationary and study materials grant: 20 US$
- Book grant: 50 US$
- Lifeskills seminar grant (financial knowledge, use of power, mental health, substance abuse prevention, social media): 140 US$
- Laptop grant: 200 US$
- ...or pick your own amount - one-off or on a monthy base!
Of course you could also choose to become a fundraiser on behalf of a student: click "start fundraising" on this platform and collect donations for your next birthday, marathon or Christmas party. We'll be happy to provide you with further details of the impact of our work, including statistics to share with others as well provide information about an individual student to support.
Click here to learn about success stories from graduates and how former donors gave them a way out of poverty. Thank you for making a difference!