Achilles Hope & Possibility Hand Cycle Relay Race: 25 and 26 May 2019, 10h00 to 10h00
In collaboration with Moses Mabhida Stadium, Achilles South Africa are hosting a fundraising event in support of Ethembeni School and Achilles.
Ethembeni School is located in Inchanga, KwaZulu-Natal, and is dedicated to providing disabled learners with a loving, educational, and helpful environment, through which its learners flourish. The mission of Achilles South Africa is to enable people with all types of disabilities to participate in mainstream running and cycling events.
We aim to raise enough money to support the following initiatives:
• Educational requirements at Ethembeni School, enabling them to purchase and provide textbooks for their students.
• Initiate and develop the initial Achilles South Africa provincial clubs namely Achilles KZN and Achilles Gauteng.
• Support and maintain vitally important equipment for disabled athletes, including hand cycles, wheelchairs, and running shoes.
• Fund and assist disabled athlete/s’ participation in the New York City Marathon during 2019 as part of the SA Achilles Team
• Begin the process of constructing a gymnasium at Whirling Wheels Social & Sports Club, enabling disabled athletes to train.
• We similarly intend to use this event to further highlight a key need in Durban - an improvement of sports and similar facilities for the disabled members of our larger communities. We’d like to encourage an inclusive approach, whereby a disabled child-friendly playground could be constructed at Moses Mabhida Stadium’s People’s Park, and support other initiatives that fall within the realm of supporting disabled children.
1.Corporate teams – Get a few of your work colleagues together and commit to taking a hand cycle and get as many laps as possible. Corporates to sponsor an amount per lap (bearing in mind we are aiming for R12K upwards per hand cycle): Who Will Be The Office Champion? Get involved in a unique fundraising event that'll do your team (and others!) good.
2. Group of mates – take a 6 or 12 hour slot on a hand cycle and do as many laps as possible: Race Your Mates. Skip your usual weekend story, and hand cycle your way to a far more fun day!
3. Individuals – mail us and book a time slot on a handcycle(1 hour slot – R500): Can you do it? One Hour, One Hand Cycle, One Purpose: Make your mark as a handcycle race participant & you'll be helping disabled athletes and children achieve their dreams.
4. Helpers – volunteer your time for part of the event: Spare time on your hands? We know what to do with it. Volunteer at the Achilles Hope & Possibility Hand Cycle Relay Race. You'll be doing good, while supporting great.