In support of Habitat for Humanity SA's value proposition of 'bringing people together to provide decent shelter, improve livelihoods and reduce housing poverty for low-income families, we have partnered with People's Environmental Planning and Baphumelele to provide critical upgrades to the homes of orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) in Khayelitsha.
Baphumelele supports 30 OVC homes around Khayelitsha. The Children's Home provides the orphans with food, education, work experience, emotional support, health-care and legal assistance. Baphumelele also tries to provide the families with safe, secure and comfortable housing. Mama Rosie, the founder of Baphumelele, was nominated last year as one of CNN's Top 10 Heroes (in the world!) thanks to the incredible work that she does every day in her community.
Mama Rosie requested that People's Environmental Planning & Habitat for Humanity SA partner with her on the project to provide socio-technical assistance and to implement upgrades to those homes that are vulnerable to flooding, excessive temperatures and/or any other unsafe living conditions.
Depending on the condition and local environment of the homes, the project aims to upgrade them with :
• A new waterproof concrete floor slab that lifts the structure off the wet ground and keeps the rooms inside dry.
• Insulating wool and boarding to help regulate interior temperatures (in Cape Town's heat, you can boil an egg on the sheet metal!)
• Galvanized sheet metal has been added to the exterior of the home to reduce leaks and drafts.
• Exterior painting to increase reflectivity, thereby reducing interior temperature
• Security gates & window bars added for safety.
With winter fast approaching, just R4 700 will be able to sponsor all of the materials and labour required to provide a home with a floor slab.
R9 900 will enable us to provide the home with insulation, to keep the residents warm at night and the home cool in the day.
Any donations of paint, insulation material, building sand, cement and stones would be so greatly appreciated - as well as assist us with providing a safe, secure future for these children...it starts with a home.