The award-winning Umthombo Youth Development Foundation in Hillcrest, South Africa, identifies, trains and supports rural youth to become qualified health care professionals in order to address the human resource shortages at rural hospitals - thereby improving health care to rural communities (learn more about our program). In 2020, we are supporting 180 rural youth to study health science degrees. Here are three reasons for you to support a student:
- Change an individual's future: You can open a sustainable pathway out of poverty for a young rural student from Kwa-Zulu-Natal through donating towards their support
- Change the future of a rural community: we have produced 428 graduates - 150 who are Doctors and 57 are women! They are working at rural hospitals, thus improving the delivery of healthcare to the rural poor.
- Change the future of the country: Invest in South Africa's (economic) future and create a future taxpayer - the cost of training 254 graduates (in 2015) of R186 million is tiny compared to the future income tax of R1,2 billion that will be paid over a graduates lifetime.
Due to our partnership with the South African government, where they have undertaken to cover our student's fees, the support we need to provide is relatively small but essential.
- Top-up Student allowances: for food, books, minor equipment and to cover accommodation shortfalls. US$ 2,140 (R32,000)
- Academic & Social Mentoring Support: this support significantly increases the chances of academic success from around 40% to over 90%! US$ 1,500 (R22,000)
- You can choose to contribute your own amount to these critical aspects of student support, either as a once-off donation or hopefully monthly!
You could also choose to help us in a significant way by becoming a fundraiser on behalf of a student: click "start fundraising" on this platform and collect donations for your next birthday, family event, sporting marathon or office party. We'll be happy to provide you with further details of the impact of our work, including statistics to share with others as well provide information about an individual student to support.
Click here to learn about success stories from graduates and how former donors gave them a way out of poverty. Thank you for making a difference!