Please consider making a donation towards supporting our CANSA TLC (Tough Living with Cancer) Programme so that we can help more children, teens and families affected by cancer.
Donations will assist with the provision of prosthetic support (children who have lost an eye or limb); the provision of wheelchairs; pain control implants and medical equipment.
R4 500 will enable the purchase of a broviac / port to help make treatment less traumatic for our children affected by cancer...
About CANSA's TLC Programme:
CANSA TLC (Tough Living with Cancer) is a programme for children and teens diagnosed with cancer or affected by cancer (a family member has cancer). Support is provided to the family as a whole in both scenarios. Read more about TLC here...
The TLC project aims to equip parents and children with the right knowledge, support and stimulation, so that children and their families can be motivated and empowered to fight cancer.
CANSA TLC embraces a holistic approach to include all aspects of physical, spiritual, psychological and social well-being of parents (guardians) and children / teens, through:
- sharing cancer related information
- offering support groups / counselling
- providing terminal & grief support
- prosthetic assistance
- ports (broviacs) to minimise trauma
- medical equipment / wheelchairs
- educational school programmes
- skills development
- volunteer training
- providing accommodation for parents (guardians) near treatment centres
- providing food & basic essentials parcels to families in need
CANSA TLC Facilities:
Currently there are 2 CANSA TLC Lodges, 1 CANSA TLC Ward and 1 CANSA TLC Teenage Support Room for children / teens and parents and families affected by cancer
CANSA TLC Nicus Lodge on premises Steve Biko Academic Hospital in Pretoria. This includes the Brian Davey Step Down Unit which provides a family friendly environment where children can safely recover while their immune systems are being built up – tel: 082 073 2850
CANSA TLC Durban Lodge – tel: 031-205 9525
CANSA TLC Paediatric Oncology Ward in Pietersburg Provincial Hospital, Polokwane – tel: 015-297 1268
CANSA TLC Tygerberg Teenage Support Room at Tygerberg Hospital – tel: 021-931 0990 or 076 047 6651 (Anthea Lewis)
CANSA hopes to extend this project to the rest of the country in coming years. Your monthly donation will be much appreciated!
* CANSA is not aware of all children / teens diagnosed with cancer, since they go to multiple units across the country. Although we make regular contact in some identified wards where we have full time volunteer and staff support, we invite all oncology parents and / or legal guardians to contact us in order to register and become part of our Tough Living with Cancer (TLC) support groups. Any friends or family members of a family with a newly diagnosed child are welcome to share our information and to refer parents to us for support. All are welcome to join the CANSA TLC Childhood Cancer Facebook support group for children and teens with cancer, and to email firstname.lastname@example.org for support. A referral will then be made to a local CANSA Care Centre for further support.
Queries CANSA TLC: