The Muscular Dystrophy Foundation of South Africa, Gauteng Branch assists individuals affected with Muscular Dystrophy across five provinces of South Africa. These are Gauteng, Limpopo, North West, Free State and Mpumalanga.
The term “Muscular Dystrophy” is a collective name given to a group of genetic conditions that are characterized by progressive muscle weakness and wasting of the muscles.Over time this will worsen and as a result, assistive disability equipment will be needed for the affected person to maintain overall quality of life and independence. This condition is rare but, not as rare as many may think as it affects 1 in 1200 people in South Africa.
The disease can affect anybody at any time in their lives and while the disease is predominantly genetic, it can also be spontaneous, surprising people with no prior family history of the disease.
MDFSA offers support to those affected in the following ways:
• Providing access to international information regarding specific dystrophies.
• Assisting with specialized disability equipment, if funding is available.
• Providing access to social service professionals for emotional support, free of charge.
• Facilitating support groups.
• Creating public awareness regarding Muscular Dystrophy.
Support us today and help us make a difference in the lives of those affected with Muscular Dystrophy :)
Join us and donate to all of our loyal supporters in the the "Hustle 4 Hope" campaign 2022 and help us make a difference in the lives of those affected with Muscular Dystrophy. Your support means hope!