This past October, I was blessed to spend time with the Angels (Out-Patient Nurses) from TembaCare Grabouw. My heart fell in love with these ladies as I walked, talked, and entered their world. They love on each person they come into contact with as they encourage them to become a better, healthier version of themselves, and that is what these ladies have done for me as well. As I train and work to become a better, healthier version of myself, I hope to help lighten the burden for this beautiful clinic on the mountain in South Africa.
ThembaCare Grabouw is a project created by the Thembalitsha Foundation. In Xhosa, a major local dialect, the word 'Thembalitsha' means 'New Hope', and that is exactly what ThembaCare strives to provide to the people who need it the most by providing an array of comprehensive services:
- Daily Home Visits – Making sure people get their medicines, that they are healthy, and providing encouragement and support.
- Providing Health Education – Information has a huge impact on improving quality of life, and empowering them to make informed and healthy choices.
- Impeccable Follow-Up Care – And adherence to support activities that maintain the patient and their family’s medical health, and attend to their morale, privacy, and dignity.
- Patient Support – Providing access to nutritional support alongside spiritual and emotional support for the patient and family as they deal with the impact of the disease.
- Community Education – Providing education to the community and creating awareness regarding HIV/AIDS and TB, in the hope of slowing the spread of HIV/AIDS, and to counter-act existing taboos towards those who are infected.
- Mobile Testing and Counselling – Mobile Testing and Counselling Clinic, that offers HIV and TB testing, counselling and screening in the community and the surrounding farming areas.