Born 9th December 1947, married to Ester (neé Leuschner), three children.
Academic degrees B Jur et Comm (1968), LL B (1970) and LL D (1978) received from the Potchefstrooms University for Christian Higher Education (PUCHE).
Admitted in 1972 at Grahamstown as an advocate of the Supreme Court of South Africa.
Received various fellowships from the Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung for research visits to Germany and other European countries between 1979 and 2005.
Seconded by PUCHE to the Constitutional Development Service as Chief Director: Planning from September 1990 to June 1993. Advisor to the South African Government’s delegation to CODESA from December 1991 to May 1992. Convenor of the Technical Committee on Constitutional Issues of the Multi-Party Negotiating Process at Kempton Park from May to December 1993. Member of a Technical Committee of the Constitutional Assembly of South Africa in 1995-1996.
1971-1973 lecturer in the Law Faculty of the University of Fort Hare, and since 1974 in the Faculty of Law of PUCHE, since 1980 as professor. Head of the Department of Public Law and Jurisprudence from 1986 - 2000. Served as deputy dean of the Faculty of Law for the term 1987-1989. Member of the Council of PUCHE 2001-2003. Member of the Council of the North-West University designated by Senate since 2004. Dean of the Faculty of Law since 2001.